Cold weather means inside chores

When it comes to decorating my house, I'm a minimalist not because I hate clutter (I do hate clutter in my own space) but because I'm pretty sure I don't have more than a tiny sliver of good taste. Which has led me to "decorate" my basement (cellar for you Mainers) living space with photos.

I've been thinking for a long time that I need to either take down all the photos and paint the slightly scarred walls.  

There's a lot of formerly blank space down there. The space off the stair is about 12-feet long, and the family room is about 24-feet long, give or take with a big television screen at the west end and Jeff's home office at the east.

We have things from Jeff's childhood home and his former office, and we have more photos of Ali as a child rather than the grown up she actually is. So an update, at the least, is due. I started in on that project this weekend on another sub-zero day. It'll take at least as long as this cold snap lasts or until the Captain gets tired of me hammering with my "that's pretty close" approach to filling large spaces with lots of differently sized, oriented and colored frames. 

I've dug out some old frames and photos and begun moving some things around, but it's a big undertaking. I've got a lot of things already to either replace or store.

I've got a family section and a friends section, though that's kind of a blurry line sometimes. I was thinking about seasonal sections, but that seems like a lot of work. There are shots on my phone and Jeff's that I should probably print out, but again, man, where do you start and stop? 

I'm sure there are people who carefully measure and plan out this sort of thing to make it look like a scatter-shot approach. I skip that step and go full-on scatter. The downsize is that there are nails and nail holes where I don't want them, but filling them in is likely another project for another time. Or never because I really should have taken everything down and painted before I started moving things around.
Ah well. That's a project for retirement, maybe. 


In other news, the Captain had a dream the other night that he was working security at an event where I was a participant. He reports catching sight of me on the security monitors and telling his crew that he was out. "I'm going to go get that woman," he said on his way out.

Nice, right? 

I did ask him if I was me in my present state or me in a past, more fit state without gray hair.

He said it was present state. Was he lying? Maybe. But I'm taking it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If there is a God, I lost weight in the past couple of weeks

Sometimes that girl...

Catching up: Where to start?