OMG, is that Miss Debbie?!?

 Anyone who follows these missives understands that Alison Reed's current and future successes have/will occur largely in spite of her upbringing rather than because of it. I mean, we've tried to shape the little redhead, but we've been helped by a huge swath of humanity that hopefully will remediate the times we fell short.

I was reminded of that this weekend when Debbie Beatty - Miss Debbie to anyone associated with Day Nursery - stepped out of her Uber and onto our driveway. She was the lead teacher in Ali and Jenna's two-year-old room at Day Nursery, where they and other lucky little tots spent their days while their parents toiled nearby in state offices. 

The nursery was on the ground floor of Government Center North, so just across the street from me at the Statehouse in the early days and then downstairs until I left state service at the direct request of a Mitch Daniels henchman. (I'm not bitter.)

You learn a lot from two-years-old to three-years-old. 

  • Potty training.
  • How to get food into a spoon or fork and into your mouth. 
  • How to share. 
  • How not to bite even if you're being oppressed. 
  • How to get along in a group. 
  • How to separate from your parents without a backward glance because you know there's a lot more fun in front of you than with those two hangers-on. 
  • How to follows the rules when going on outings or taking part in a group activity.

It was in the two-year-old room that, when admonished for being aggressive in telling her peers what to do, Alison Reed responded, "Oh no, Miss Debbie. I'm not bossy: I'm a leader."

So when Miss Debbie came to Alison's graduation/the Captain's retirement party, both Amy and I gasped and then fought back tears.

"I keep up with my babies," she said, that beautiful smile on her face as she searched the crowd for a grown-up version of her former charge.

Ali claims she felt like she knew Miss Debbie on sight, even though it's been 17 years since she was a Day Nursery child.

But she did spend five years there, and Debbie was in the hallways if she wasn't in the classroom. And I'm a believer that five daily doses of love as strong as Miss Debbie doles out is bound to get embedded.

It was wonderful to see Miss Debbie, as well as so many others who stopped by or sent notes or cards if other plans got in the way. 

Auntie Jen, Uncle Peter and Uncle James flew in from Maine and get the most-miles traveled award. They did a huge amount of work to help use set up and tear down, too, so it might be awhile before they jump on a plane for Indy. The other award of the night might go to my neighbor Lois who shared lots of her outdoor furniture to help us seat our guests.

Aunts Debbie and Diane from my hometown made the drives, as did Jaime and Lee, with Aleasha and her friend, Audrey, so they earn ribbons if not an award.

Another surprise guest was Eric Yocum, who has been hospitalized for the past few weeks. It was great to see him and Tracy outside of a medical facility. Recent knee surgery kept Aunt Donna at home, but we'll go see her soon.

Like all good parties, I failed to spend as much time with everyone individually as I would have wished, but it seemed like friends and family mixed themselves up pretty easily and well.

We had started the day at Pride with Uncle Jeph, Amy and Jenna, Uncle James and Auntie Jen, so some of us were sweatier and smellier than we probably should have been. I was also sporting some fun rainbow fake eye lashes that Ali and I found while shopping for decorations.

Initially it felt like I had caterpillars on my eyes, but they were a hit at Pride and they stayed on far longer than the press on rainbow nails we both wore. Every so often, after I'd forgotten that I was wearing them, someone would remark on them and I'd see the caterpillars again.

I don't think it's a look I'll keep, but it was fun to be silly.

Another silly thing was a hat and goblet Alison insisted we just had to have for Jeff. We forgot to make him wear the crown during the party, and it was the next day before we discovered his goblet was missing an important letter.


We had perfect weather Saturday, but Sunday was rainy off and on so Ali and I made the Reed clan learn how to play euchre and Bunco. We almost came to blows trying to get James to understand "magic jacks that arbitrarily change power" but we're going to give it another go over the 4th of July holiday when we'll be together again.

Bunco came easier once I remembered how to play. "Is this really a game?" Alison asked at one point. "I mean, you just roll dice."

Ah. Uh. Yes. But there's more, which she learned when she took the score sheet away from me when I forgot - again - to record a point or six.  

I'm 100 percent certain I'm forgetting stuff from the party and the weekend that I would otherwise report but it was so much fun that I didn't take any pictures to remind myself what happened. I stole the ones in this post from others. But like Jen says, we were just having too much fun to stop and take pictures. 

Regardless, we properly celebrated our graduate and our retiree, and most of the mess has been dealt with, but as Miss Debbie said years ago, "Picking up is part of playing. 

Another one that I think came from her: "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit."

Clearly, it's not just two-year-olds who can learn from someone as wise as Miss Debbie.

If you came by this weekend, thank you.

If you sent something, thank you.

If you just thought a kind word, thank you, too. 

I'm pretty sure Miss Debbie (and maybe others) taught us to be grateful for whatever kindness anyone shows. So whether you walked across the yard, came across town or across the country, thanks for being part of our family.

All of us here at Chez Reed are very grateful for the village that surrounds us literally and figuratively.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If there is a God, I lost weight in the past couple of weeks

Sometimes that girl...

Catching up: Where to start?