Feeling artsy

I've been envious of murals that have popped up all over Broad Ripple and other parts of Indianapolis for a while now. They always make me smile when I run across them, and I've been talking for years about doing something like it at our house.

Before we covered our interior back porch wall with wine box panels, I'd considered a mural there, but never got the job done. The exterior west side of our garage has always seemed like a canvass in search of paint, too. But no longer.
















I am beyond happy with this splash of happy flowers that Nikki Lazar, one of Alison's dearest friends, just finished. The mountain scene in between the sunflowers reminds me of our California trip. You can't quite see the setting sun and the reflection of it and mountains in a lake at the bottom of the mural due to a canna lily that I planted last year (thanks, John Vielee) before we commissioned Nikki.

It took her only a couple of days once she got started and had all of her supplies. We talked about a design earlier in the summer, and I hobbled out with my walked a few times to talk with her about it as she got started, but largely left the design to her. I do OK with words, but fine art is not my forte.

We had already agreed to sacrifice the Black-eyed-Susans and the basil to the art project, and you can see them trampled there. I'm going to have to think about what to plant for that bottom border. Hostas, maybe. I'll find a new home for the lily, too.

You can glimpse the artwork through the trees and other greenery from Carvel Avenue walking north. Once those leaves have fallen, it'll be easier to see from that view. Or, you can come stand in the yard if you want. I'm seriously thinking we need to put a table and chairs out there and have brunch before the weather gets too cool. 

I  don't have a "before picture," but in recent years, it was vine-covered, the former home to stacked wood and a pile of sticks from the yard destined for the firepit. Not very attractive for my wonderful neighbor Lois, whose yard is an oasis of blooms and artwork. I'm sure she was thrilled when I moved the wood and planted herbs and flowers there.  

She's even happier now. As am I. If you have a spare wall you want improved, I know a budding artist who could likely help you out. She's awesome. And will one day be famous. I'm sure of it.

It's Football Sunday, and our Colts just lost, which is sad. Come on over and look at my garage if you need to cheer up.

FYI: Thanks for all the good vibes, prayers, food and treat deliveries. I'm feeling exceedingly blessed in family and friends. I'm not graceful but I'm up and walking and getting better every day. The Captain has yet to abandon me even though I'm pretty needy.

I'm not allowed to bend down, so if I drop anything -- my phone, food, napkins, clothes -- I have to just leave it there and wait for him to come home to pick up after me.  I swear I haven't done it on purpose, but I can feel the habit forming. 

At this moment, there's a NYT magazine with an unfinished crossword puzzle on the floor at my feet and a Kleenex by my bed. I spilled a bit of tea in the kitchen, and two crayons are underneath the magazine. It's KILLING me to leave them there. But I'm more terrified of the Captain finding me broken on the floor. 

I may have to go look at my garage.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If there is a God, I lost weight in the past couple of weeks

Sometimes that girl...

Catching up: Where to start?