Is it that obvious?

 The other day, Jeff and I were trying to get our steps - a terrible/great habit that sprang initially from our insurance provider who, if we both "got our steps" for a certain number of days of the year, would give us cash or prizes or something.

Our insurance provider has since changed the program and we're no longer rewarded financially for our steps. So, even though he's often trudging along beside me, Jeff is less happy to get his steps as it's only a physical reward. He would rather ( I think) we jogged or ran because he thinks that's a better physical payoff if we have to be out I, however, believe the only time you really need to run is when something dangerous is chasing you. Plus, it hurts my knees. 

So anyway, we had trotted out at the end of the day because I needed some steps. It was snowing, so it was kind of cold, but there was no wind. Darkness was falling as softly as the snow, so it was kind of romantic, if you want to know the truth. I didn't need that many steps, and I was wearing my fancy heated vest, so I was snug and knew I wouldn't be out long. I had my new hat on, too. So it was kind of a fun little interlude.

Because it was getting dark, and we wanted to get the steps out of the way, we were setting a pretty brisk pace.

Not far from our house, we strolled past a parked delivery truck, and the guy tooted his horn. I wondered if he was doing that because he was trying to keep us safe -- you know, alerting us that his heavy vehicle was in the roadway, too, and we shouldn't wander in front of it when he got going again.

I waved at him because I'm a friendly sort.

He delivered his package and rolled the truck just a couple houses down to his next stop. He leaned out the window and said, "You guys are looking good!"

I laughed, appreciating the compliment. 

And then, he said, "When I get older, I want to be like you guys."

Uh. Come again?

I mean, it wasn't pitch black, but it was dark. It's winter in Indiana. And we were bundled up! Coats, hats, gloves.  Hats that covered the gray hairs that have sneaked into our manes. And it was dark!

How do you suppose, did he know we were older than he was?! 

Whippersnapper. Hmph!

In more fun news, Jeff went on a beer trip last weekend, and Alison came home from school so she and I could finish binging her favorite anime show and we could lay around like dogs. 

He left Thursday night, and I got to have dinner with Tina Noel, one of my favorite people in the whole world.

I picked Ali up after I finished work on Friday, which was great timing as snow and ice hit Saturday afternoon. 

We got in a little exercise in between laying around like dogs. We did yoga and we walked into Broad Ripple. We were headed to Petit Chou to pick up French onion soup when the Rise and Roll bakery came into view,  just a few steps out of our way. I started to point it out, but she was way ahead of me with lemon cookies on her mind. She even sped up like a horse seeing the barn after a long day out in the pasture.

"Yeah, there's no sugar in the house. I looked," she said.

Earlier, we were in the Wendy's drive-thru lane. She still had ice cream at home, but I did not, and I thought a Frosty was in order. I'd failed to replenish my cash supply - because in COVID who uses cash? -- and I only had two dollar bills. We usually keep change in the cars, but for some reason, it was barren of coin. I dug in my pocket, remembering I'd found a dime on the street. Nothing.

"Dang," I said. "I guess I'll get a small." 

I immediately equivocated. "I don't need a medium anyway. I should order a small. Yeah. A small is just fine."

From the shotgun seat, Ali dangled a dollar bill my way as the voice came through on the speaker asking us what we wanted.

"I'll have a medium Frosty," I said, snatching the bill like it was going to disappear.

At which point we burst into laughter. My lack of will power has long been a favorite subject of Ali's. We were still laughing when I came up to pay and I gave the guy the change because he was laughing, too.

We had taco night, too, because, well. We needed tacos. Sure there was laundry and a little grocery shopping but mostly, we hung out and had a ton of fun. 

I had Ali drive to the grocery so she could get some winter driving in. When we slid through the second turn and came centimeters from kissing the neighbor's fence with the front of the Subaru, I wondered if I'd made the right decision.

"Huh," she said. "I always made fun of you and dad when you slid on the ice. I guess it is a little tricky."

We argued over how close she actually came to taking out the fence.

Jeff came home Sunday evening when we'd advanced from Deathnote to Bridgerton. Ali had gotten impatient with Daphne's inability to be assertive when it mattered, and when she took conception into her own hands, Alison was finished, declaring that a trick too far.

Jeff delivered her home, which was only fair as I'd had her for a couple days on my own. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If there is a God, I lost weight in the past couple of weeks

Sometimes that girl...

Catching up: Where to start?